Thursday, October 6, 2011

Stream of Ganciness

On  today's run, I was thinking these sort of rambling thoughts:

That Dylan McDermott is an asshole because he was mostly naked like 10% of that show in much better shape than me despite being older than me, and he made me go for a run and pull-ups and sit-ups.  Then again, I'm glad I'm running now because I had that beef sandwich.  That I'm burping up now.  Shouldn't have gotten the hot peppers.

I know I don't listen to enough new music, but they just don't make albums like "OK Computer" anymore.  Hell, Radiohead makes really good music these days, but even they don't make anything anywhere near as good as this anymore.  It's kind of like sports where you can't possibly make your best work past a certain age, that is without performance enhancing drugs.  Roger Clemens threw harder at 40 than he did when he was 20.  There is no equivalent of that in rock.  If Roger Clemens had a rock band, maybe called "Rocket," even if they were good, the stuff he put out in his 40's wouldn't be nearly as good.  Sure, you can make good music in late adulthood, but it just won't have that power, angst, edge, evilness, and sexiness that it did in your youth when you were young and crazy.

Hold that note, Radiohead, I gotta hit pause and hear what this saxophone guy sounds like in this tunnel.  Hmmmm.  Sounds like he's just tuning up or something.  And it smells like piss.  I know these guys probably get better acoustics in these tunnels, but why don't they just play in the open air?  How can they stand that piss stench?  Maybe the stink makes them blow a little hint of the blues into their horn . . .

The best song by the oldest possible guy was "Harvest Moon" by Neil Young.  I'll have to look up how old he was when he recorded that one when I get home.  Maybe blog about it.  Eh, who am I kidding; there's no topic in that.

3 comments:

Dave Natan said...

Sick Boy's theory of life reasserted: "At some point you've got it, then you lose it, then it's gone!" XD

But anyway music is perhaps not the best medium to age gracefully onto - its muse is too capricious. Literature and cinema is another thing entirely, though and that keeps me cosy at night.

Unknown said...

You spelled saxophone wrong.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Dave: It seems like Woody Allen is as good as ever in his 70's, so filmmakers seem to be doing better in old age than rockers. Thanks for coming by.

Dorothy: It was a stream of consciousness piece, so I wasn't really as concerned about spelling, but since you're concerned, I fixed it. Thanks.